Gosh, I just realised that I posted this recipe quite a while back, but never got around to telling you all about it!
By now, you will notice that quite a number of my recipes use coconut in some form. Southern Indian cuisine uses coconut quite a lot in a variety of forms, in fact, I have to say that my all time favourite coconut dish is my grandmother’s coconut chutney. I’ll borrow the recipe for that and let you all know, because it really is too good not to share.
Sure, coconut has had a bit of a bad rap in it’s day. It is high in Saturated Fats, which we are advised to have in minimal doses, however, I have come to realise that if you aim to consume everything in moderation, you will ultimately live a balanced and healthy lifestyle. I use coconut oil, coconut yoghurt, and fresh coconut a lot, because apart from creating that wonderfully relaxing tropical feeling, coconuts are actually a wealth of nutrients and natural substances that can help the body to fight a variety of infections. The so-called undesirable saturated fats come in the form of Medium Chain Triglycerides which are easily digested and actually help the body to make more energy.
This Baobab & Coconut Yoghurt Superfood Bark is the perfect indulgent treat. Packed with all the nutrients of Superfoods like goji berries, chia seeds and Farafena Baobab Fruit Powder. It is so easy to make, is Dairy Free and on top of all the coconutty goodness, the Coconut Yoghurt gives you a good pro-biotic hit. Follow this quick and easy recipe to enjoy this deliciously healthy snack.
- 500 ml Coconut Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp Farafena Baobab Fruit Powder
- 1 tbsp black chia seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp goji berries
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh/frozen raspberries
- grated dark chocolate
- Mix the coconut yoghurt, maple syrup, vanilla essence and baobab fruit powder together to combine
- Using a spatula, spread the mixture out evenly on a 7-9 inch baking tray/container, lined with baking paper for easy removal
- Sprinkle with the chia seeds, followed by the shredded coconut. Add the remaining ingredients in layers, leaving the grated dark chocolate for last
- Gently press down the toppings so that they stick to the coconut yoghurt base
- Remove from freezer, and break the 'bark' up with your hands in desired sized pieces. It's quite rich, so 2-3 inch pieces works well
- Ingredient amounts are approximate, use how much you want and what you have on hand. This Baobab & Coconut Superfood Bark stores in the freezer in an air tight container, for up to 3 weeks.