Daughter number one has started back at pre-school after having quite a few weeks away and though I have a number of go-to recipes for her pre-school lunch box, I have been finding less inspiration for afternoon snacks. There’s always the good old apple slices and peanut butter option, but after doing that twice this week already, I realised I needed to have some other options prepared for her arrival home.
Thinking back to when I was younger (not quite pre-school aged, but younger none the less) I recall often having vegetable sticks and cottage cheese. Not sure if that was just a New Zealand thing, I certainly don’t recall ever having it when I lived in Australia or England, but we certainly had it often enough as kids.
Given we try not to have too much dairy, especially for the girls, I have adapted what was originally my vegan mayonnaise recipe, and created what I call ‘Vegan Cottage Cheese’. We tried it paired with fresh vegetable sticks, and they ate them all – so, it worked! The girls had a healthy after school snack, and I found something new to blog about and share with you all! 🙂
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts (soaked over night)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- chives for garnish
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews
- Add all the ingredients except the chives to a high powered blender
- Blend on high until well combined. Add a little water if you find the blender is not rotating well at this point
- Serve, topped with the chive garnish and your desired vegetables cut into sticks
- This cottage cheese will last in the fridge for up to 3 days.